Here’s another old recipe that I thought I’d share again since it’s one of the items on my Fall Food Bucket List. I have had a craving for apples and oatmeal lately. I decided to make these Apple Walnut Oatmeal Muffins. These turned out so good and I think they’re my second favorite muffins!
Aren’t apples one of the must have, must make fall fruits? I’ll never forget when Rob and I were in Rochester, NY several years ago. It was the end of August, but it was definitely feeling like Fall up in New York. Leaves were just starting to change. We found a grocery store called Wegmans that we ended up falling in love with; such a nice store with so much variety. We found the produce section, because Rob was really wanting some local New York apples. We found some small apples. I can’t remember what they were were called, but they were so amazing. We bought a bag and munched on them throughout our trip. Here’s Rob chomping down on one as we drove up to Toronto.
We ended up eating all of those, and after getting back to Rochester for our flight home we stopped at Wegman’s for more apples to bring home. We packed them in our carry-on bags and ended up getting stopped by TSA because “levels” seemed off. They did a litmus test from the inside of our bags, but when we explained that we were bring back NY apples they said that was for sure the problem and let us go. You just never know what might get you stopped at the airport!
These muffins are easy to make and need nothing out of the ordinary. They are great for breakfast or just an easy snack.
Servings: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
1 cup flour, sifted
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup chopped apples, pared
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Sift together dry ingredients except for oatmeal, walnuts, and apples.
3. Beat egg and milk together; add to flour mixture.
4. Stir in oatmeal, walnuts, and apples
5. Spoon into greased muffin tins.
5. Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped apples, pared
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients except for oatmeal, walnuts, and apples.
- Beat egg and milk together; add to flour mixture.
- Stir in oatmeal, walnuts, and apples
- Spoon into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
Originally Posted Feb 22, 2009