Sometimes, I come up with the best recipes, when I have ingredients that I have in the fridge that need to be used before going bad. I had some Chorizo that was nearing its expiration date, so I decided to try it in a breakfast dish. This One-Pan Mexican Hashbrown Pie was really easy to make. If you’re not a fan of Chorizo, it would be good with regular breakfast sausage or even hamburger meat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped jalapenos
1 small can of chopped chilis
1/2 lb. Chorizo (if you don’t care for this you can use regular breakfast sausage)
1 dozen eggs
2 cups cheese (I use Mexican Blend, but cheddar will work too)
2 cup frozen hash browns thawed
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Brown sausage with onions and jalapenos, then drain.
3. In a medium sized-bowl scramble eggs, then pour in sausage. (I always get a paper plate, put it on a regular plate and put 2-3 paper towels on top of paper plate. After draining sausage, I pour the sausage on paper towels. I wrap the paper towels over the sausage and squeeze. This just helps to get excess grease out.)
4. Add in cheese, chilies, and salt and pepper.
Back in the pan, pour in hash browns. Toss them a round and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Pat down the hash browns and pour the egg mixture over them. Place the oven safe pan into the oven and cook for 25 minutes. If you don’t have an oven safe pan, then put ingredients into a baking pan.
6. Allow to sit for 5 minutes after removing the pan from the oven.